Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Really?

Sometimes, I've only got one thing to say. Really?

Perfect example. My oldest son. Ah...14. What an age, huh? Everything is all about you. I remember being 14. It was hard work, dammit. Trying to be a good student and a sports phenom when you aren't the smartest, nor the most athletically talented. Having idiots for parents. Having friends that are only your friends half the time because the other half they are your enemies. And the best part...the opposite sex. Don't we all remember finally noticing the opposite sex? (Okay...who am I kidding. I was chasing Garth Anderson around the playground in preschool telling him I was going to marry him. Finally noticing the opposite sex? Really?)

Anyway, my son is applying to a private high school. The application is due on January 14th. Yes...in three days. How long has he (have I) been planning for this moment? Only since about December, 2008. He says to me two days ago, "It's all so much pressure, Mom." Pressure? Really? I very calmly explain that it is not my problem that he has waited until now to write his essay and get his letters of recommendation together. I mean come on. I'm not the one going to be sitting through Algebra again. Not my issue. He reminds me that I have the financial aid and enrollment applications to fill out. (Apparently, the parents have to do that?) I explain that he need not worry about me getting my stuff done; "Please just focus on your responsibilities," was my response.

Have I yet to start either the financial aid or enrollment application? At 10:41PM on Tuesday, January 11th? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment