Monday, January 10, 2011

What the Hell-O am I thinking??

That's what was going thru my head as I parked on campus and made my way to the bookstore...walking by other students and feeling older and more out of place by the second...almost everyone looking like they were old enough to be my kids babysitter, granted a few others looked old enough to be my mother to. Once I actually got inside and saw the line at the bookstore I dropped the O in Hell-o and asked myself again...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING???
Standing in line...Listening to children (which come on, let's be real here...that's what they are!) drop the F-bomb and ruin their hearing with their i-pod's, I resist the urge to ask them if they kiss their momma with that mouth and grab their trendy little Apple toy and turn the volume down for them...Oh man... when did I reach THAT age?!! I watch the employee run the line and come up with about 5 more ways it could be far more efficient and fast in 30 seconds...(Hey, I'm a woman and a mother...it's what we do.) Finally get to the front of the line to even get into the bookstore and I suffer the insult of ALL insults given what I've just experienced in the last 40 minutes... HE, a man at least 20 years my senior...calls me Ma'am. I must have given him the raised eyebrow glare cause he stepped away from me rather quickly. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all fine with manners but you better be a Boy Scout trying to help me across the street when I'm 80 if your going to call me Ma'am... Either that or I better have a ruler in hand, with thigh high stockings, a short skirt, and pig tails if your even going to consider using that word before I'm 80! You've been warned! I'm pretty sure in that moment I sighed and accepted my fate...I am a married, 36 year old mother of 3 that has gone off her rocker and decided she needed to pursue the dreams of her youth...or at least the ones she can still have because I'm not sure i'll ever get back my 21 year old body. So the challenge: To see just exactly what I was made to be outside of dinner and diaper changes. The rewards: Besides even more work for me, well... I guess it's to know I can and to do something I thought I could.
Fast Forward 1 hour, dinner figured out, glasses picked up for my oldest son, backpack stolen from the same son, packed with used books that still cost WAY to much, address of the university hall programed into my phone and I'm in the car with no little voices telling me they have to go potty, or their hungry, or asking how much longer till we get there...I realize then that this is it, that I'm really doing this, it's real, and scary, and exciting all at the same time...Dorthy, your NOT in Kansas anymore...I start the car, deep breath and here goes nothing... or something...and really...everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment